Albion Chamber of Commerce is saluting Albion ThriftyWay grocery store at its Member of the Month for July.
Albion ThriftyWay has been in place since about 1970, when the former Safeway store was purchased by Bud Buckendahl in partnership with Al Haynes, and it became an Affiliated Foods store. Buckendahl soon bought out his partner and operated the store into the 1990s.
Don and Sharon Casper and partners bought the store in the early 1990s, and Don and Sharon have owned the business since 1996.
The Caspers expanded the business to include the smaller building to the east, which is the liquor store portion of ThriftyWay, with offices on the south end.
The building was built by the Krause family in 1928 and was originally Krause Implement, where farm tractors and equipment were sold.
After Krause Implement, a wall was built to divide the building into two halves, which housed Sillik’s Dress Shop (later Doering Dress Shop) on the west and Dewey Miller’s new and used furniture store in the east half.
The Safeway store operated from about 1960 to 1970, and removed the wall separating the two halves of the grocery building.
The present liquor store portion of the building, in earlier years, served as a Western Auto store and a laundromat.