The Albion Carnegie Library, located at 437 South 3rd Street in Albion, is one of 69 libraries in Nebraska that were built using a grant from Andrew Carnegie.
The library was originally built in 1908 and has served as Albion’s public library ever since.
Designed by Eisentraut, Colby & Pottinger, the library has been listed in the National Register due to its continued role in the educational development of the community from the time of its construction, 1908, until 1969, as 50 years prior to the present year is a requirement for listing in the National Register.
Although an addition was added to the rear of the building in 1977, the Albion Carnegie Library retains much of its original layout with open reading spaces, as well as much of its original materials, as demonstrated by the elaborate interior woodwork and original windows.
Albion’s Carnegie Library is the sixth property in Boone County to be listed in the National Register of Historic Places, and the second in Albion. National Register of Historic Places is the nation’s inventory of properties deemed worthy of preservation.